Saturday, 25 June 2011

A pair of National Trust Houses.

It was warm and sunny on Tuesday morning,so at 9-30am we started to descend the 30 locks of the Tardebigge flight. By 1-30pm we had arrived at the bottom lock a descent of 217ft. We moored for the night and went for a short walk before our evening meal.
The weather was still warm and sunny on Wednesday morning when we did a further 12 locks dropping another 84ft. Mooring at the bottom of the 12th lock we had lunch then walked across the fields to Hanbury hall a National Trust house. Like all the houses we have visited it was a nice afternoon out, the gardens were beautiful(see photo's).Before mooring for the night we moved on passing the entrance to the Droitwich canal then mooring just past bridge 34.
First thing Thursday morning I tightened the belt on the engine as it had been making a slapping noise. After an early morning shower the day was cloudy but warm,so we moved on through the 230yrd Dunhampstead tunnel to the visitor mooring at Tibberton. Arriving there I regognized it as the place we had had a picnic at the side of the canal on our way back from Cornwall a few years before.
On Friday we passed under the M5 motorway and down the Offerton Flight of 6 locks(a 42ft drop) and entered the outskirts of Worcester, stopping at bridge 10 to do some urgently needed shopping. We then went into Worcester and moored at the Commandery. This building used to be a hospital founded by Bishop Wulstan in 1085. It also served as Charles 11s headquarters before the battle of Worcester in 1651.
Today we visited Greyfriars another National Trust property, then later we Visited the Cathedral and climbed the 325 steps to the top of the tower, the view was magnificent. We are staying by the Commandery for a second night, then dropping down the 2 locks at Diglis Basin on to the River Seven. As well as pictures of where we have been I have added a couple of pictures of flowers from our roof garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment